Whether you are building a new home or replacing a window, you will find replacement windows Redwood City CA designed for both types of projects. For new construction, windows are equipped with a nailing fin – a rim that allows them to be secured inside rough openings in walls. Nailing fins, however, are not present on replacement windows. The window assembly is fastened to the frame with bolts that run through it, making installation easy. Generally, you use home window replacement windows when updating existing windows, unless you have to replace the frame around the opening. It is important to have good measurements of the rough openings before purchasing replacement windows.
Window Frame Materials
Choosing the frame material of the window is one of the most important decisions you’ll have to make when shopping for replacement windows Redwood City CA. Heat transfer, durability, and maintenance are all influenced by the material of a window frame. Let’s review what frames are available today, so you can make an informed decision.
- Vinyl. Replacement windows are commonly made of vinyl. The vinyl windows are made of rigid polyvinyl chloride (PVC), which resists heat transfer and condensation because of their hollow chambers inside. Unlike wood, vinyl windows do not need to be painted, finished, and doesn’t require regular maintenance. Also, vinyl frames do not fade or rot over time.
- Aluminum. The use of aluminum windows as replacement windows can be a cost-effective option. Their durability, light weight, and ease of handling make them a good choice. In addition to their corrosion-resistant properties, aluminum windows are also easy to maintain.
- Wood. Wood is popular, especially for window interiors. The surface of wood is less conductive to heat and cold, and it produces less condensation than other materials. The exterior and interior surfaces of unfinished wood windows can be primed before installation to save you time and effort. A few standard colors can also be purchased already painted.
- Clad-wood. Unlike wood windows, clad-wood windows use aluminum on the exterior for both strength and maintenance-free durability. The cladding provides durability and prevents rot on the exterior.
- Fiberglass. There are many advantages to fiberglass replacement windows Redwood City CA, including durability and waterproofing. There is no cracking, bending, warping, rusting, rotting, corrosion or peeling, and they’re long-lasting and easy to care for. In contrast to other materials, frames have a lower heat conductivity and thermal expansion.
There are some windows that have two layers of glass (double panes) or three layers (triple panes). Various gasses, such as argon and air, are used as insulators between the glass panes. Condensation should never occur between the panes of the unit if it is constructed properly. It is possible to use a drying agent, known as a desiccant, between the panes in order to minimize condensation.
Glass that has a low-emissivity coating (Low-E) allows light to pass through it but blocks out a significant amount of heat. On a hot day, Low-E coatings can keep your house cool by reducing the amount of heat entering your house from the outside. During the winter, it can prevent the majority of interior heat from escaping through the glass. Moreover, Low-E glass helps prevent carpets, upholstery, and furniture from fading by reducing ultraviolet light (UV) entering the home.
A window’s U-value or U-factor measures how efficiently heat passes through it, as well as how much energy it consumes. Lower U-values mean better insulation.
The solar heat gain coefficient (SHGC) measures the amount of solar energy that passes through a window. The higher the number, the more solar heat is allowed to pass through the window. It might be a good idea to consider using windows with lower SHGC ratings if you live in the south in order to reduce cooling costs and block heat in the summer. Using higher-rated windows may help warm your home in the North.
It is possible for to be certified as ENERGY STAR® compliant for specific zones of the country.
Features and Options
The use of tempered glass is considered to be a form of safety glazing. Glass that has been annealed crumbles rather than shattering when broken.
Window sound transmission class (STC) rating provides insight into the degree to which a window reduces outside noise. When the number is higher, the window transmits less sound.
In comparison to single-strength glass, double-strength glass is thicker and more resistant to breakage.
An estimated rough opening dimension indicates the size of the opening that will fit the window. A small amount of material is required to install the window, so the window’s actual dimensions are slightly smaller than the rough measurements.
Some replacement windows Redwood City CA feature grids or grilles to create the illusion that they consist of multiple, smaller panes of glass. A grid can be encased between two panes of glass or mounted on the window surface.
Why Choose Us
Our goal at Best Exteriors is to make the process as simple and easy as possible from beginning to end. Our dedicated team is with you every step of the way, answering your questions and taking care of your requests as soon as you reach out.
After booking your appointment, a member of our team will measure the windows and doors in your home as well as analyze the specific issues related to each room. We will advise you on the optimal windows and options based on the room you will be in, so that you are as comfortable as possible. Based on this, you will receive a FREE estimate!
The installation of your window or door order will be carried out by our team once it’s been manufactured and delivered. The inside and outside of your home will be clean and organized after we leave.
Whether you have installation or manufacturing concerns, our LIFETIME transferable warranty will ensure that we will address them at NO charge to you!